Skip to main content

If you smell gas you must immediately call Northern Gas Networks on 0800 111 999

Servicing your gas boilers and fires

Each year we will service your gas boilers and fires. Not only does this keep you safe, but it also makes sure your systems are running as efficiently as possible to keep your fuel bills down. We have to carry out annual services by law.

The service should take less than an hour and we will make an appointment so you know when to expect us.

We have a Gas and Carbon Monoxide Safety Policy which sets out what you can expect.

Why is an annual service so important?

The most important reason we carry out annual servicing is to keep you and your family safe.

If any of your appliances were leaking out carbon monoxide, it could cause serious illness or even death. The frightening thing is, you wouldn’t even know, because carbon monoxide gas has no smell or taste. The only way to be sure appliances are working as they should be is to have them serviced every year.

What to expect during a gas service

We employ Sure Group to carry out gas servicing for us. Their engineers are Gas Safe registered and fully qualified to make sure your appliances are well-maintained and running efficiently and safely.

They will arrange an appointment to visit your home. If you need to change the appointment, please call Sure on 0300 5000 600, and select option 1.

If, during the service, any appliance is found to be unsafe, it will be immediately disconnected.

If you own any gas appliances in your home, it is your responsibility to get them serviced and, if necessary, repaired or replaced.

If the appliances are owned by us, we will take care of any repairs or replacements.

Once the engineer is happy that everything is safe and working well, you will be issued with a gas safety certificate.

What should you do if you smell gas?

Immediately report it to Northern Gas Network’s 24-hour number 0800 111 999.


  • Don’t smoke or use naked flames.
  • Do not use electrical switches.
  • Turn off the gas supply at the mains. The gas emergency control valve is normally found near the meter box (in older house) or beside the outside gas meter (in new homes).
  • Open windows and doors to ventilate your home.

Copyright © Connect Housing

Connect Housing Association Limited is a charitable association registered in England and Wales under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (Company No. IP17445R) and with the Regulator of Social Housing (No. L2285).

Privacy statement | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions