Skip to main content

Want to carry out home improvements?

Most of the time, this is fine, but you will need to ask for our permission before you start work.

It is important to remember that you will be responsible for the costs of maintaining and repairing any home improvement work you carry out. You will also be responsible for removing items and reinstating your home should you move, unless our Lettings Team is happy for the improvements to stay.

What is as a home improvement?

It is any change that you want to make to the fixture or fittings in your home or garden.

For example, changing your kitchen units or bathroom suite, replacing windows or installing an electric car charger. Erecting fencing and laying paving are also classed as home improvements.

How do you get approval for a home improvement?

First of all, you need to send us written details of the work you would like to carry out, either by letter, email or via our online form below. It is important you include as much information as possible.

  • Your name, address and tenancy number.
  • Details of the improvements you would like to carry out.
  • A list of the rooms or areas affected.
  • Information about the materials you plan to use.
  • The name of any contractor you will be employing, along with relevant insurance details.
  • Include photos where possible.

What happens after you request permission for a home improvement?

In most cases, we will make a decision quickly without you having to do anything else. We will send you written confirmation of our decision, either by email or letter.

If your request is a bit more complicated, could impact on others or will affect the existing structure of your home, we might want to come and visit you or ask you for some more information.

Are there any home improvements that are not allowed?

We don’t allow any new structures, such as extensions or lean-tos, to be built onto your home, especially not wooden structures. There are lots of reasons for this.

  • Structures on shared or adjacent driveways can cause problems for neighbours.
  • If a structure falls into disrepair or needs removing after someone has moved out, this could incur costs for Connect.
  • Issues of liability can be complicated, especially if someone was hurt or damage was caused because of the structure.
  • Wooden structures must be at least six metres away from a house to meet fire regulations.

We also don’t allow tenants to paint or apply film to kitchen cupboard doors.

Structural changes to your home?

If you would like to ask for permission to make any structural changes to your home, such as altering doorways or removing a chimney breast, we would need detailed information from you before we could agree to the work.

This includes:

  • Detailed plans and current and proposed layout drawings.
  • Builders’ quotes.
  • A list of all materials which would be used.
  • Designs and calculations from structural engineers.
  • Proof of funds to complete the work.

We would also ask you to supply information about the contractor you would be using, including:

  • Construction Line or Contractor Health and Safety (CHAS) registration.
  • A copy of their public liability policy (minimum £5m cover).
  • Evidence of competency in this type of work.
  • Risk assessments and method statements.
  • A scaffold erection certificate, if appropriate to the work.
  • Warranties and guarantees on materials and labour.
  • Electrical and gas safety qualifications, plus electrical and gas commissioning certificates when the work is finished.
  • Asbestos reports.
  • Post-inspection handover document to confirm work is completed to the required standard and the site is safe and clean.

If we are happy with your plans, you will then need to seek building control approval.

If you or someone living in your home are struggling due to a long-term illness, disability or mobility issues we may be able to help.

We run a free service that can make minor changes in your home to help you live more independently.

Examples of typical minor adaptations are:

  • Grab rails to help you get in and out of the bath, shower or front door.
  • Lever taps if you are struggling to turn your current taps.
  • A shower seat if you are unable to stand for long periods.
  • A key safe so carers can let themselves in if you are struggling to get to the door.
  • An extra handrail on your staircase.
  • A step or small ramp to make it easier for you to get in and out of your home.

For more information on the service, call us on 0300 5000 600 and choose option 2 for repairs.

You can also email or fill out the form on this page.

We aim to complete any minor adaptations within 28 days of your request.

If you need a more significant adaptation such as a stairlift, a level access shower or wetroom, your local council may be able to help through the Disabled Facilities Grant scheme.

The council will refer you to an Occupational Therapist (your GP can usually request a referral to the Occupational Therapy Team also) who will review your situation and submit a request to the council for any adaptations if they feel you are eligible.

You can also try these contact details of your local authority if you want to apply for an assessment for a major adaptation:

Leeds City Council
0113 222 4403 (for children)
0113 222 4401 (for adults)
Web page about adapting your home

Kirklees Council
01484 225 335
Web page about adapting your home

Calderdale Council
01422 393 000
Web page about adapting your home

Bradford Council
01274 434 520
Web page about adapting your home

Wakefield Council
01977 722 220
Web page about adapting your home
Self service referral link

Request to carry out basic home improvements

If you would like to apply for permission to carry out basic home improvements, please complete and submit this form.

By submitting this form, you are agreeing that Connect Housing can store your contact details for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry. If you would like to know why we ask for your data, how we use it and how we look after it, please see our privacy policy.

Copyright © Connect Housing

Connect Housing Association Limited is a charitable association registered in England and Wales under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (Company No. IP17445R) and with the Regulator of Social Housing (No. L2285).

Privacy statement | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions