Skip to main content

Understanding the risks of carbon monoxide is important. It can lead to serious issues in your home and be incredibly damaging to you and those you may live with. Luckily we know a thing or two about it and we hope this page can provide you with all the information you need to prevent any accidents.

What is carbon monoxide?

It is an odourless and tasteless gas that is given off by appliances such as gas, boilers, or fires. It can cause seriousness illness or even death when inhaled, so it is important to take it seriously.

What is a carbon monoxide detector and why do I need one?

The most important reason is to keep you and your family safe. A carbon monoxide detector will alert you if carbon monoxide is released in your home. It tells you that carbon monoxide is coming from something in your home, and gives you time to take action on this.

How do I get a carbon monoxide detector?

That’s where we come in. We’ll be supplying them to you very soon.

From 1st October 2022 it is a legal requirement that every home rented by Connect has a Carbon Monoxide Detector wherever there is a gas burning appliance such as a boiler or fire (gas cookers are exempt).

We will be contacting you and arranging to install a 10-year battery powered carbon monoxide detector within your property if it needs one.

When we do drop in to fit this, it should take roughly 1-hour to do.

What should I do if my carbon monoxide detector sounds or I think I have carbon monoxide poisoning?

  1. Switch off any gas appliances you may have been using.
  2. Ventilate, Evacuate, Alert
    Ventilate the property by opening windows and doors.
    Evacuate the property immediately, this includes everyone.
    Alert the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.
  3. Visit your GP or hospital if you believe you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
  4. Inform Connect Housing so we can initiate our carbon monoxide investigation procedure. Its important you let us know as soon as possible as your gas will have been capped off at the mains by the National Gas Emergency Service and it can’t be turned back on until we have completed our investigation.

Why are cookers exempt if they burn gas also?

Gas boilers and fires have what is called a flue. This pushes any fumes out of the home and into the outside atmosphere, rather than inside your home. Cookers, however, do not have a flue and so any fumes from cooking with gas are released into the immediate area.

Some helpful tips when it comes to cooking…

  • Don’t use pots and pans that are too big for the gas ring. Oversized pots and pans prevent oxygen getting to the gas ring which is needed to provide a good clean burn.
  • Keep your hob and gas rings clean and free of food debris and grease build up.
  • Open a window or door to ventilate the kitchen when cooking. Even in winter pop it open briefly. Ventilation is really important when cooking with gas.
  • Look out for yellow or orange, rather than blue flames, this could indicate a poor burn.

Copyright © Connect Housing

Connect Housing Association Limited is a charitable association registered in England and Wales under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (Company No. IP17445R) and with the Regulator of Social Housing (No. L2285).

Privacy statement | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions