Skip to main content


Are you currently claiming legacy benefits?

Contact Money Matters for support and advice

Are you currently claiming either one or more of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment Support Allowance

If your answer is yes to any of the above then you need to know about Universal Credit Managed Migration.

The Department of Work and Pensions is in the process of writing to all legacy benefit claimants and formally issuing a ‘Migration Notice’. This notice gives you three months to make a claim for Universal Credit.

Background to Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) was introduced in April 2013 as part of Welfare Reform (which was introduced in 2012 and brought in other changes such as the bedroom tax and benefits cap).

UC is a monthly payment which brings together a range of working-age benefits into one single, monthly payment.

The following benefits and tax credits listed above – Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, JSA and ESA – are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit.

Migrating to Universal Credit

The 3 triggers that will cause you to claim UC are:

  • You find out that you’d be better off claiming UC.
  • You’ve had a change in circumstances and have to claim UC.
  • You have received a ‘Migration Notice’.

Managed Migration

From April 2024, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has started writing to some people who receive the legacy benefits to let them know that they need to claim Universal Credit instead. This letter – called a Migration Notice – explains what you need to do and when.

To find out when you’re likely to be asked to move to Universal Credit please visit the Government’s website.

It’s important that you don’t do anything until you receive their letter.

You will not be moved automatically. Once you’ve received your Universal Credit Migration Notice letter, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit to continue to get financial support. There will be a deadline in the letter. This is three months from the date the letter was sent out.

We can help you

Our dedicated Money Matters team is here to help you.

If you have received a Migration Notice, experienced a change in your circumstances or think you will be better off claiming UC, then please contact us in any of the following ways:

We will tailor our support to suit your circumstances. We can offer advice and assistance during the initial call or make a referral to open a case which can include visiting you at your home if you need us to.

Additional Information

For more information on UC Managed Migration, please feel free to access the material below:

Copyright © Connect Housing

Connect Housing Association Limited is a charitable association registered in England and Wales under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (Company No. IP17445R) and with the Regulator of Social Housing (No. L2285).

Privacy statement | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions