Skip to main content

Introduction of the EU Settlement Scheme

Connect residents who are also originally citizens of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Lichenstein are being asked to get in touch and advise us on their European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status.

Following Brexit on 31 January 2020, the new EUSS was introduced to protect the rights of people living in the UK.

This means that from 1 July 2021 citizens of these countries may not be able to start a new job or claim benefits if they have not made an application to the scheme.

They and their family members must apply by 30 June 2021 to continue legally living and working in the UK. If they don’t, they could lose benefits, lose their job or even be asked to leave the UK.


Who needs to apply?


  • If someone is an EEA (European Economic Area) national (even if originally from outside the EEA) and has not acquired British nationality, and was living in the UK before 31 December 2020, they must make an application in order to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021.
  • If they have a husband, wife, civil partner or partner who is not a British citizen (even if they are not an EEA national themselves) they must apply too.
  • Any children who are EEA nationals must also apply – a parent can apply on their behalf.
  • The application is free and easy to make.
  • There are only three key steps – prove identity, show that they live in the UK, and declare any criminal convictions.
  • You will be granted settled or pre-settled status if your application is successful. Settled status is for those who can show they have lived continuously in the UK for five years.
  • If an EEA national does not apply, their existing rights will end on 30th June 2021

Connect residents are asked to contact us on 0300 5000 600 as soon as possible to advise us of the status they have been awarded. Anyone who has not yet applied can get more information and advice from Citizens’ Advice Bureau or, if you live in Kirklees, from the Kirklees Law Centre.

Copyright © Connect Housing

Connect Housing Association Limited is a charitable association registered in England and Wales under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (Company No. IP17445R) and with the Regulator of Social Housing (No. L2285).

Privacy statement | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions