Low priority: If there is no grit bin on your estate your scheme is low priority. However, you
can still collect grit for your estate during prolonged periods of bad weather. We will provide self-help bags that can be collected from our offices.
Medium priority: We will deliver grit and place it within the designated grit bins. During severe or long lasting winter conditions we will replenish grit bin stocks every two weeks. However, we cannot spread the grit or clear footpaths.
High priority: Our schemes for older people and designated supported housing schemes are categorised as high priority and we will top up grit supplies and clear footpaths in accordance with the policy.
• Grit is provided for use on key footpaths and communal areas required for access only. Please don’t use the communal grit for your own drive, non-essential footpaths and car parking areas.
• Grit is quite corrosive – when used excessively it can damage plants and hard surfaces.
What you can expect
• We will grit priority estates when the five-day forecast indicates that temperatures will not rise above 0°C for three days continuously or when ice is forecast to form on footways and the condition continues after midday on any individual day, as published on the BBC Weather website.
• Our staff and contractors will try to visit priority schemes every three working days providing weather conditions allow and grit stocks and staff are available.
• If access by car is directly to the tenant’s front gate, the surrounding footpath will not be gritted.