Accessibility | Welcome to Connect Housing | Skip Navigation | Site Map | Search Results | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us Home | Renting a home | Buying a home | My Account | How do I ...? | Repairs - General Information | Community | About Us | Links | Jobs & Careers Home |
Standard font size iconMedium font size iconLarge font size icon 
 Wednesday, 19 June 2019
How Do I

You are here:

Home / How Do I / How to Make a Complaint

How to Make a Complaint


We aim to provide the best possible services to our customers. When we get it wrong we need to know so we can put things right. We use complaints as a way of learning, using information from complaints to improve the services we provide. We explain here how we deal with complaints. You can tell us your complaint by:

Complaint steps

  • A complaint should be lodged in writing. You can do this by filling out this form. You can also download the form here, fill out and post or hand to us in person, if you prefer.
  • We will respond to your complaint within 14 days. If we are unable to complete our investigations within this time, we will write to you to keep you informed.
  • Complainants may be asked to provide further information to support their complaint.
  • Please complete all of the required information on the form. If information is missing, we will be unable to investigate your complaint and will return the form to you.
  • If you are completing this form on behalf of someone, please complete their details. We will not be able to discuss specific details with you without express written consent of the customer and will respond directly to the person named on this form.

If you ring us and English is not your first language, we can use the services of Language Line to communicate with you.

Click here to read our Complaints leaflet.



Copyright © Connect Housing 2019 Privacy statement  | Terms and Conditions
Connect Housing Association Limited (“Connect Housing”) is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number IP17445R. We are a non-profit housing and support provider regulated by the Regulator of
Social Housing, registration number L2285. VAT Reg No 664 8458 90.